Monday 1 February 2021

PQ: 1st February 2021

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id=2021-02-01a.1883.8

British Armed Forces: Iraqi Interpreters - Question

– in the House of Lords at 1:18 pm on 1st February 2021.

Baroness Coussins Crossbench 1:18 pm, 1st February 2021

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what assessment they have made of reports that Iraqi interpreters are being targeted by militia groups because of their work with foreign militaries; and what steps they are taking to protect such interpreters who have worked for the British Armed Forces.

[…]

Lord Lancaster of Kimbolton Conservative

My Lords, I start by recognising what great champions the noble Baroness, Lady Coussins, and the noble and gallant Lord, Lord Stirrup, have been for the rights of interpreters for many years, as I experienced myself during my time as a Defence Minister. While I understand why the Government have delegated the responsibility of contracting interpreters to private companies, such as thebigword, will my noble friend reassure me that the Government have not also delegated their duty of care?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment